5 Best Tools For Harvesting
A garden loaded with vegetables and fruits is every gardener’s dream come true. Post growing, harvesting and storing the juicy and crispy crop is a significant deal. Thus, it is said that harvesting is an art and every gardener must master it.
If you follow the right harvesting techniques, you will not only savor what you have grown but will also pave the way for excellent yield in years to come.
Apart from using highly efficient harvesting tools, you need to keep the following key point in mind:
- Harvesting at the apt stage of maturity is necessary for both flavor and nutrition.
- Harvest vegetables in the morning when they are likely to be at their coolest and will take handling better.
- Vegetables even after harvest are alive; they continue to respire and break down the cellular contents to provide energy to live.
- After harvest, the Vegetable quality deteriorates.
- Keep fresh produce away from sunlight in the proper storage conditions.
- Harvest dates vary from season to season, type of fruit and vegetable, and even with the cultivar of a particular kind of plant.
- Avoid bruising or damaging the vegetables to minimize decaying.
- Vegetables with waxy, waterproof skins require cold storage and can be pre-treated in ice water to remove the heat in the vegetable at the time of harvest.
Now that you know when and how to harvest, let’s look at five best tools you can use for harvesting:
1. Pyramid Double Edge Sickle:
The Pyramid Double-Edged Sickle is one of the must-have tools for every garden and farm to remove troublesome weeds and harvesting crops. It is unmatched in its efficiency with a superior quality blade and firm wooden handle that allows the gardener or farmer to clear weeds and harvest their crops efficiently.
2. Fruit Harvest Blade with Nylon Net:
Ensure the safe recovery of lofty fruits with the Fruit Harvest Blade with Nylon Net. It is lightweight and can be attached to a lengthy pole that can easily access the upper branches of a fruit tree. It is a highly efficient device that makes harvesting and collecting fruits simple. The carbon steel blade head ensures quick & easy harvesting of fruits like Apples/Mangoes. The Nylon Net ensures that the plucked fruits are not damaged, bruised or cut.
3. Concorde Flora 5 Secateur:
Secateurs are sharp and strong snips or scissors that can cut through the small branches of shrubs and young trees. They are also used to harvest some garden produce, such as large vegetables (with thick stalks, such as pumpkins) and fruits such as grapes and peaches. Buy Concorde Flora 5 Secateur online.
Secateurs can be helpful for deadheading spent flowers.
4. Pyramid Curved Knife:
Designed for precision, the Pyramid Curved Knife comes with a high carbon steel blade and a wooden handle. Extremely productive and user-friendly the knife ensures that the fruits and vegetables are taken off from the branches without harming the crown. The wooden handle allows to maintain a firm grip and eliminates the risk of the tool slipping away from the hand.
5. Green Seasons Straight Blade Cutter with D-Handle:
The Green Seasons Straight Blade Cutter with D Handle is a highly useful tool for thinning leaves, twigs and stems. But do you know that this pruning scissor with carbon steel blades can be used for harvesting fruits, flowers and vegetables, as it is equipped with a D handle that allows comfortable and firm grip?
To explore a vast range of harvesting tools and equipment, log onto Ugaoo.com and find your tool.
Reference Harvesting and Storing Fresh Garden Vegetables by Jo Ann Robbins, Wm. Michael Colt, and Martha Raidl