What are the advantages of Soil compaction?
Soil Compaction is hugely beneficial for both farming and gardening projects. It minimizes the chances of soil erosion caused due to harsh weather conditions and waterlogging. Remember, that if the soil is intensely compact, it might lead to weak roots and crop growth. Hence, study your soil thoroughly before processing it.
Let alone gardening and landscaping, soil compaction is highly beneficial in creating beautiful walkways too. Wondering, how? Well, compacted soil is less prone to water infiltration, soil and wind erosion. Thus, it creates a solid foundation for lawn walkways and root garden designs by lending sturdy support to more massive objects like gravel, pebbles, paving stones, and concrete. Buy garden soil online.
Baseball parks and Golf courses are the best examples of beautiful lawns with soil compaction. Lawns are a treat to the eyes and act as a welcoming venue for small gatherings and parties. By compacting the soil correctly, and then laying visually enticing grass, will help you in creating a bespoke, lush green space.
Types of soil compaction:
How can I compact the soil in 5 easy steps and without using a machine?
Equipment for Soil Compaction is not available with the homeowners. Thus, we have enlisted five easy ways in which you can compact your garden soil using a watering hose and gardening tools.
- Get rid of the lawn debris. Remove all the fallen branches and rocks. Then smoothen the soil using both front and back of a rake.
- Take a water hose with spray nozzle and by setting low pressure, spray the area with a slow and steady flow of water until you see a small pool start to emerge. Do not select too much pressure, as it may move the soil or even run-off before seeping in. Buy spray pumps online.
- Allow the water to settle and seep in. Wait at least for an hour.
- Repeat step number 2 until the water is no longer absorbed at the same rate as before. This is how you will know that the soil is well compacted or not. The number of time you need to repeat the process depends on the soil porosity. If the soil porosity is low, the water drains slowly. The absorption rate differs in clay and sandy soil.
- Then pack the moist soil either by walking over it, or by using a hand tamper or lawn roller.
Read about ways to prepare healthy garden soil.
At times, soil compacting can pose a problem too. Thus, evaluate your garden, soil type, and type of plants before opting for Soil Compaction.
Have you ever tried soil compaction? Let us know in the comments section below.