Plant part used: Leaves.
Medicinal properties of Patta Ajwain:Coolant, Stimulant, Digestive, Stomach Gases, Anthelmintic, Wound Healing, Cough, Cold, Reducing ‘Kapha’ and ‘Vata.'
Patta Ajwain information:
- It's a small, erect, perennial, herbaceous, aromatic plant.
- Leaves are fleshy, green, hairy and full of essential oils and aromatic compounds.
- The stem is green and weak; it can tilt or drop with the weight of big leaves.
- The aroma of the leaves can be described as a pungent combination of the smells of oregano, thyme, and turpentine. The taste of the leaves is described as being similar to the one of oregano but, with a sharp mint like pepperiness
- It is widely cultivated and naturalized elsewhere in the tropics, where it is used for traditional medicine, spice, and ornamental plant.
- Note: Patta Ajwain should not be confused with great aromatic kitchen seed-herb Ajwain, i.e., Trachyspermum ammi.
- There is an uncanny resemblance in the aroma of Ajwain seeds and Patta Ajwain leaves. Therefore plant in this blog is referred as ‘Patta Ajwain; rather than just ‘Ajwain’ to avoid confusion.
Patta Ajwain benefits and uses:
- Patta Ajwain leaves help in digestion when consumed with black salt.
- Chew one leaf every day to get rid of gases and bloating.
- A special ‘Bhajia’ is made of Patta Ajwain during the monsoon season.
- Patta Ajwain tastes great along with ginger, lemon, and Jaljeera beverages.
- Chopped leaves of Patta Ajwain and coriander are used to garnish buttermilk.
- Patta Ajwain leaves are added in ‘green masala’ of fenugreek, spinach, potato and mixed vegetable recipes.
- Delicious and fresh chutney is prepared from fried Patta Ajwain leaves and sesame seeds.
- Add a leaf in boiling water and inhale the vapor to clear blocked nose during cold.
- Homoeopathic medicine, prepared from fresh leaves, is used in the affections of urinary organs, especially in painful urination or in burning pains during and after urination.
- The herb can be applied externally to the skin as a mosquito repellent.
How to grow Patta Ajwain plant?
Buy Patta Ajwain plant online in India at Ugaoo.com
- The plant should be grown in 8-12 inch pot in a rich potting medium like pot-o-mix.
- Patta Ajwain can be propagated with herbaceous green cuttings or tip cuttings.
- Cuttings can be directly planted in well prepared potting soil added with plenty of organic manure.
- In the humid, rainy climate even the old stems are placed horizontally on the soil surface can start rooting to form a new plant.
- Patta Ajwain plant grows well in shade and partial sunlight. It can be grown in hanging baskets too.
Click here to read about another Medicinal Plant: Betel leaf!