Imagine walking into salty, savory, and fresh flavors every day and having the liberty to create the best salsa ever!
Read the blog to know how to plan a salsa theme garden, recommended plants, harvesting, storing and then creating smooth Salsa. Not only your senses, but your taste buds will also do the cha-cha-cha.
Steps to Planning a Salsa Theme Garden:
- Determine your Salsa Garden Theme.
- Select the size and location of your garden. Select an area that receives 6 hours of full sunlight daily and is close to a water source.
- Analyze the pH value of your garden soil and amend it accordingly. Add a 3-inch layer of organic matter to improve the soil structure.
- Finalize the shape of your garden; it can be a square or a jalapeno! Select the shape form according to your landscape scheme.
- Plant tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and herbs.
- Water, weed, fertilize and harvest on a regular basis throughout the growing season.
- Enjoy abundant of vegetables and herbs.
Recommended Plants for your Salsa Garden:
1. Cherry Tomatoes
2. Tomatillos - “Husk Tomatoes”
3. Bell Peppers/Capsicum
Tip: Use tomato cages to support peppers during the growing season.
4. Hot Peppers:
Jalapeno, Cayenne, Habanero, Hungarian Wax
Harvest, Storage, and Preparation of Fresh Vegetables:
Tomatoes: Harvest when firm and fully colored. They can be frozen and stored before canning or processing. To remove the skin before storing blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds.
Tomatillos: “Husk tomatoes” though green, are ripe when the tomatillo fills out its papery husk. You can purchase Tomatillos canned or fresh at specialty stores.
Peppers: Harvest peppers frequently to promote the yield throughout the growing season. They can be frozen or strung and dried.
Onions and Garlic: Harvest when 80% of the tops have fallen over or died down.
Herbs: Harvest throughout the growing season. For excellent flavor, gather herbs early in the morning. Most herbs can be dried or frozen for later use.
- 1 gallon prepared tomatoes and tomatillos
- One can tomato paste
- Two whole garlic cloves, minced
- One onion
- 1 cup sweet bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 - ½ cup hot peppers chopped
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- Herbs, salt, pepper according to taste
Thinking of creating it? Log onto Ugaoo.com, and find all that you need.