While walking home, I came across a bunch of pink roses. I loved their smell and wished I could pour it into a bottle and store it forever. That is when I got an idea! I rushed home to conduct my research on How to make homemade perfume.
Benefits of a good homemade perfume:
- Enhances mood.
- Boosts confidence.
- Boosts health.
- Makes you attractive.
- Triggers memories.
- Combats insomnia.
- Cures a headache.
In this case, isn’t it better to adopt a DIY approach to perfume?
As I delved further, I understood that one fragrance is made up of three scent variants -
30% top notes - The notes you smell first.
Plants that can from top notes of your fragrance are basil, grapefruit, lavender, lemon, lime, mint, rosemary, sweet orange.
50% middle notes - The core of the fragrance.
Plants that can from top notes of your fragrance are black pepper, cardamom, bay, fennel, geranium, chamomile, nutmeg.
20% base notes - The notes that extend the longevity of the middle notes.
Plants that can from top notes of your fragrance are cypress, ginger, pine, sandalwood, vanilla. Read about top 10 most fragrant flowers in India.
You could also combine essential oils with your perfumes and transform them to suit your taste and personality.
- Relaxation - Lavender, Musk, Neroli, Cedarwood
- Refreshing - Citrus Fragrances Like Orange, Lemongrass, Lemon, Lime
- Fresh - Grapefruit, Ginger
- Romantic - Rose, Lime, Lavender
- Sensuous - Sweet Orange, Sandalwood
- Sweet - Lavender, Chamomile, Cardamom, Geranium
- Bright - Peppermint, Rosemary, Lemon, Sage
- Wild & Woody – Juniper, Cedarwood, Bergamot
- Rich – Lavender, Clove, Nutmeg
Recipe to create a perfect perfume:
Since it is the first time I was creating a perfume, I decided to take the easiest route and use flower petals and essential oils.
- 2 tbsps carrier oil like sweet almond, coconut, or jojoba
- 6 tbsps 100-proof alcohol
- 2.5 tbsps bottled water
- 30 drops essential oils, i.e. 9 drops top notes, 15 drops middle notes, and six drops base notes
- A coffee filter
- Small funnel
- Two clean dark-glass bottles with airtight lids
- Pour the carrier oil into the bottle of your choice and add base, middle, and top notes. Fill alcohol.
- Secure the lid, and let it sit for 48 hours. The longer you leave it, the stronger it gets.
- Once you’re satisfied, add the bottled water.
- Transfer the perfume to other bottle using a coffee filter.
- Enjoy your new fragrance!
- Since base notes are dominating, so add them one at a time until you strike a perfect balance.
- Use bottles with spray tops to make application easy.
Benefits of making your own perfume:
- Save money.
- Avoid harmful chemicals.
- Customise your fragrance.
- Ideal for sensitive skin.
Click here to Buy Plants from an Online Plant Nursery–