As we are about to step in the festive season, let’s first understand - Hindu Gods & their Favorite Flowers:
1. Goddess Lakshmi:Goddess Lakshmi is known to bring abundance and good fortune. The Goddess sits on an open Lotus, and hence it is considered as her favorite flower. On every Wednesday, white colored fragrant flowers like Tuberose, Mogra and non fragrant ones like white chrysanthemum are offered to Lakshmi Mata.
2. Lord Ganesha:
The Lord of Obstacle Removals accepts red flowers just like Goddess Lakshmi. Particularly, Red Marigold / Genda please him a lot. Marigold is the only flower of the gods that can be distributed with its petals and hence is considered unique. Apart from all the flowers that come under ‘Tulsidal,' all others can be offered to The Vighnaharta. That being said, Red Hibiscus is indeed the most preferred flower offered to lord Ganesha.
3. Goddess Saraswati:The Goddess of Knowledge is always clad in white as she signifies purity of mind and soul, but her favorite color is yellow. While offering prayers to her if one offers Indian Magnolia (Champa) or Flame of the Forest (Yellow Palash) it is considered very auspicious. Yellow variety of any popular flower like sunflower, rose, allamanda can be offered to Saraswati devi.
4. Lord Shiva:The Destroyer of the Universe and the ultimate power - Lord Shiva is never offered lovely flowers as he loves Datura, Dry lotus, Nerium Oleander flower (Kaner flower), Kusum, Aak, Kush, etc. One would always find plantation of Bel tree (Aegle marmelos) outside Shiva temple along with white champa (Plumeria) tree. Often the plants of Juhi and other jasmines are allowed climb on these tree for their fragrant flowers.
5. Goddess Kali:Essence of a woman’s power or Adishakti - Goddess Kali is worshipped with blood-red Hibiscus flowers only. This ritual is followed because the vibrant red marigold flowers match with her effigy that shows her ferocious form wearing a garland of Asura heads and blood dripping from her mouth. Flowers of dark roses, crimson glory and Aboli are also offered to goddess Kali. Buy flower seeds online in India.
6. Lord Vishnu:
Also known as The Preserver of the Universe, Lord Vishnu likes Lotus, Maulsari, Juhi, Chameli, Ashoka, Malti, Vasanti, Kadam, Kewra, Champa, and Vaijayanti. Apart from fragrant flowers, he loves Basil leaves.
7. Lord Hanuman:The leaves and magnificent flowers of Ruee or Madar (Calotropis gigantea and C. procera) are offered to Bajrangbali on every saturday. These are common indian shrubs often found growing near villages and farmlands. Hanuman also loves Chameli flowers very much, therefore chameli oil is offered during hanuman pooja.
8. Lord Krishna:
In his younger days, lord krishna used to spend long time in Kadamba (Neolamarckia cadamba) forest. Kadamba flowers are fragrant and round like a ball. It is said that Parijat (Nyctanthes arbortristis) is a heavenly tree brought to earth by lord Krishna. A quarrel over it ensued between Satyabhama and Rukmini, Krishna's wives. But Krishna planted the tree in Satyabhama's courtyard in a way that when the tree flowered, the flowers fell in Rukmini's courtyard.