- Soil - Anthurium prefers growing medium that is coarse and well-draining soil. Thus, prepare it at home by mixing perlite, peat moss, and pine bark in equal parts. You could also combine three parts potting mix with one part orchid bark or lava rock. Incase you are using a potting mix that is less coarse or is not well draining, place a layer or two of pebbles at the base of to facilitate quick water drainage. Buy gardenia garden soil online.
- Container - Keep the Anthurium plant in a pot that is slightly larger than itself, or the roots may rot and die. Fill the pot with 1/3 potting mix that you have prepared and placed the plant on top. Fill the sides with the additional potting mix. The roots will grow above the potting material, so use this low-level method to delay the need to transplant your anthurium into a large container. Buy variety of pots online.
- Sunlight - Shade to Partial Sun. Indoors place the plant 5-8 feet away from a window so that it receives gentle sunlight.
- Humidity - To maintain humidity place the Anthurium container on a tray filled with pebbles with some water. This will help in maintaining humidity levels.
- Water - Keep the soil moist, but not drenched. Continue misting the aerial roots and push them into the soil.
- Temperature - Anthuriums prefer 78 degrees F to 90 degrees F during the day and 70 degrees F to 75 degrees F during the night. Temperatures above 90 degrees F may not allow Anthuriums to thrive well. 40 degrees F to 50 degrees F at night can result in slow growth and turn lower leaves yellow.
- Fertilizer - Use a slow release liquid 3:1:2 fertilizer and dilute it to 1/4 the recommended strength before applying. Buy organic fertilizer online.
How to grow Anthurium by seeds?
Anthuriums can be grown by seed sowing method, however the next generation of flowers do not resemble the parent plant. It is not possible to maintain quality of a variety by seed sowing.
Anthuriums are better grown by node cuttings, pieces of rhizomes or root division. Now a days commercial Anthurium flowers are also grown by tissue culture method. Buy variety of seeds.
Caring for Anthurium
- Pinch dead foliage and faded flowers.
- Avoid over-watering as it may cause root damage and turn the foliage yellow.
- Fertilize every other month.
- Avoid drought and temperature fluctuations.
- In winter, let your anthurium plant rest for six weeks at 15 degrees C with minimal water. This will allow it to flower profusely in the following season.
Anthurium steam can be used to ease joint pain during arthritis and rheumatism. All you need to do is, cut and boil the leaves, have the person sit over it in a chair with a blanket. As the person sweats and pores open, the medicinal properties enter the body. It is also useful as a poultice to aid muscle aches and cramps. You can also take t he Anthurium leaf and wrap it around neck or back and just peel it off at the end of the day. Buy red anthurium
If you already have Anthurium plants growing at home send us pictures. We would love to see your Republic Day plant in full bloom.
Happy Republic Day!