How to make coco peat at home and where to use it?
Cocopeat is natural fiber made out of coconut husks. The extraction of coconut fiber from husks gives us this byproduct called coco-peat, which is a 100% natural growing medium. This cocopeat dried in the natural sun is processed to produce different items namely cocopeat block, coco peat briquettes, cocopeat tablets, etc.
Loose coco peat is often referred as coco soil. Coco soil being a porous and well-drained medium, helps the plant to have strong roots, thus making it an excellent growing medium for hydroponics.
Properties of Cocopeat:
- Cocopeat is light, easy to handle and can even be reused for up to 4 years.
- The physical and biochemical properties of cocopeat make it resistant to bacterial and fungal growth.
- Cocopeat disintegrates slowly. It only begins to break down when it is ten years old, thus providing long-term benefits.
- It has pH of 5.2 to 6.8 which is neutral to slightly acidic. This makes it great to be mixed with alkaline garden soil. Read about soil pH & its effect on plant growth.
- Cocopeat can store and release nutrients to plants for extended periods of time.
- It has great oxygenation properties which are important for healthy root development.
- Cocopeat can be combined with any of the usual ingredients like soil and manure to be used as a mixture or a stand-alone product.
- Cocopeat is available at affordable price for a quality product with an environmentally sustainable future.
- Cocopeat is perfect soil conditioner, and it can retain moisture up to eight times of its volume. It is entirely organic.
- Cocopeat is consistent and uniform in texture, and easy to handle. Unlike soil, it does not form any mud.
We have A complete guide on coco coir pots & its uses to help you in gardening.
Where to use cocopeat?
- Cocopeat is a fantastic sowing medium. It is used to sow the seeds of vegetables and seasonal flowers in seedling trays.
- Cocopeat is a perfect rooting medium. Stem cuttings are inserted in the cocopeat for root induction.
- Cocopeat is very good for soilless gardening and hydroponic farming.
- Cocopeat is an essential ingredient of various potting media like pot-o-mix and organic veggie-mix.
- Potting mixture with added cocopeat is suitable for indoor plants, cacti and succulents, dish gardens, terrariums and hanging baskets.
How to make good coco soil at home?
- Buy a block of Gardenia coco-brick online in India, at Ugaoo.com.
- Take water in a large-sized bucket and immerse coco-peat compressed block in it.
- Keep the block immersed in water for 3-4 hours, so that it absorbs maximum water and loosens up.
- After 3-4 hours the entire block will absorb water, and it will swell up 2-3 times its weight.
- Just drain out the excess water, and you will get ready to use soft, fluffy and light coco soil.
Read more about – What Is Peat Moss and Where to Use it?
Click to Buy Indoor Planters Online