Before we explore those perfect evergreen trees for your home entrance, let’s first understand how to select them:
1. Location:Evergreen trees grow in sunlight, but they do not like to be exposed to the harsh sun rays. To keep them green and healthy, plant the trees in an area that receives both sunlight and some shelter at the same time. It is recommended that you plant the trees in the northern spot as evergreens grow easily there.
2. Growth characteristics:Not all evergreens grow and flourish at the same time. Their growth depends on the variety and habitat.
3. AttributesWhat kind of evergreen garden are you looking at? One with flowers or lush foliage? This is something that you need to decide before choosing evergreen trees for your home entrance. Also, size and shape of the leaves should be considered.
Low growing trees are ideal for a home entrance, because tall trees might hide essential details of the yard and look a little shabby if not maintained.
Now that we know three crucial points before selecting trees for the home garden, let’s meet the five superstars that are perfect to glam up your front yard:
1. Ficus Benjamina:Ficus Benjamina or Weeping Fig is one of the most famous indoor trees in the world. In spite of being amazingly popular, it is not an “easy to grow” indoor tree. The broadleaf evergreen belongs to the Moraceae family.
Native from India to North Australia the tree grows 50 feet tall. The tree features pale brown trunk, cone-like foliage, glossy and pointed leaves. The stem contains a milky sap. Weeping Fig hardly flowers and fruits indoors. Keep the tree safe from aphids, mealybugs, thrips, scale and spider mites. Read about how to destroy pests without chemical.
If you wish to grow other varieties of ficus plant, buy ficus prestige and Ficus Triangular online.
2. Ficus elastica:Ficus Elastica or Indian Rubber plant is a widely known ornamental tree that is grown all around the world. The broadleaf evergreen belongs to the Moraceae family. Native from the Himalayas the tree grows 50-100 feet tall in its natural surroundings. Indoors, you can start Ficus Elastica in a soil-based potting mix.
Place it in bright indirect sunlight and protect it from the afternoon sun. Use a watering can to water during the growing season and avoid overwatering. The lovely tree features thick, glossy, leathery dark green leaves and pinks to purple stipules.
In the 1900s the trees milky sap was used to make an inferior rubber. Keep the tree safe from aphids, mealybugs, thrips, scale and spider mites.
3. Aralia (Polyscias):
Ming Aralia or Polyscias fruticosa is an exotic plant that is worth growing indoors. A little tad temperamental, the tree features ferny and feathery foliage that falls gracefully from its slender branches.The broadleaf evergreen belongs to the Araliaceae family. Extremely easy to grow indoors, the plant needs well-drained soil, bright indirect light, and moist soil during the growing period. Aralia can be propagated from a stem cutting too.
Timely pruning is necessary to encourage branching and foliage density. The tree features finely-segmented, narrow-ovate leaflets with spiny-toothed margins. The pale yellow to white flowers bloom during summer. Keep the tree safe from aphids, mealybugs, whiteflies, scale, and nematodes. Root rot may occur in moist soil and mites in dry conditions.
4. Thuja:Thuja or Green Giant is a needled evergreen that belongs to the Cupressaceae family. The plant is optimum to grow as it tolerates a wide range of soil and certain dry conditions.
Best grown in full sun, Thuja also appreciates some light afternoon shade. The tree features upright branching with sprays of scale-like dark-green foliage. The best part about Thuja is that its foliage does not turn yellow even during the winters.
Keep the tree safe from Bagworm and rots. Timely pruning can help keep the tree in check. Understand pruning - The important gardening activity.
5. Brassaia actinophylla:Brassaia actinophylla or Umbrella Tree is widely known as an ornamental tree. Easy to grow, the plant reaches up to 30 m high.
Hardy in the landscape, the Umbrella Tree needs full sun to partial shade and fertile well-drained soil mix. It proliferates in warm, humid climate and survives both semi-shade and full sun. Buy tree seeds online in India.
Have you grown any of these evergreen trees at your home entrance? If not, which one would you like to grow? Let us know in the comments section below and we would help you with soil, pots & planters, tools, tips and tricks.