Microgreens are tiny, baby plantlets of leafy vegetables that are harvested at a very early stage. Microgreens are bigger than sprouts but much smaller than young adult plants. Many leafy vegetables can be harvested as microgreens within 10-15 days of seed sowing when plantlets are 1 to 3 inches tall.
Microgreens are considered as super healthy & highly nutritious foods that are loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, Beta-carotene, Vitamins E & K, and lots of other health promoting nutrients.
Steps to grow microgreens at home:-
- Get a shallow flat tray-like container.
- Make few drainage holes at the bottom.
- Fill the container with planting medium: coco-peat + Vermicompost (2:1)
- Sow-scatter the seeds of your favorite leafy veggie in a crowded manner.
- Cover the seeds with more coco-peat.
- Keep the container at safe, semi-sunny spot; water every day.
- Your microgreens will be ready to harvest in 10-15 days
- Harvest the micro greens along with roots.
- Repeat the process for next batch of greens.
- Microgreens are best consumed fresh & raw.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your seeds for assured continuous supply of fresh microgreens: Amaranth (Chawali Bhaji), Broccoli, Chinese Cabbage, Celery, Dill leave (Suva), Fenugreek (Methi), Gongura (Ambadi), Green Amaranthus (Green Math), Malabar spinach (Poi Saag, Mayalu), Mustard Leaves, Parsley, Red Amaranthus (Red Math), Red Cabbage, Coriander, English vegetable pakchoy tasty green.